Children with special needs often have unique oral health issues and have a greater risk for oral health problems.
Oral sensitivity, symptoms of their condition, certain medications, difficulty eating, and diet can all contribute to dental concerns. In addition, medical or behavioral issues may result in dental care often taking a back seat.
If you’re a parent or caregiver to a child with special needs, The Dental Anesthesia Center is here to help. Our team is compassionate and here to help patients accomplish dental care they may have never had.
Common Dental Concerns
Many children with special needs have dental issues related to their health condition or the treatment they’re receiving for their condition. We understand the unique challenges this presents for parents and caregivers. If your child experiences dental concerns, we can work with you and your child to achieve good oral health.
Your child’s condition could be affecting:
- How teeth and oral structures grow
- The amount of saliva your child’s mouth makes
- The way calcium is laid down on the enamel as their teeth grow
- What and how often your child eats
Some of the most common dental concerns affecting children with special needs include:
- Dry mouth – Your child’s condition or the medications they take can affect saliva production. A dry mouth leads to tooth decay, gum disease, and oral infections.
- Teeth grinding – If your child grinds their teeth regularly, it can damage teeth over time.
- Holding food in their mouth – This condition is known as food pouching. This makes it easy for bacteria to grow and cause cavities.
- Delay of tooth eruption – For some children with special needs, their teeth take longer to come in. This is often seen in children with Down syndrome.
Special Needs Dentistry in St. Louis
Good oral health care at home is essential, but it’s also vital for your child to go to the dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. However, we understand that this is easier said than done. Other medical concerns take priority, and you may struggle to find the dental care your child needs. You may also worry about finding a dentist who can accommodate your child’s unique circumstances and needs.
At The Dental Anesthesia Center, we offer complete dental care for children with any special needs. We provide the following to accommodate your child’s needs:
- Pre-Appointments – This allows your child to meet the dentist and staff, see the dental equipment, and visit the exam room. Pre-appointments can help your child feel comfortable with the office, which results in better cooperation during their appointment.
- Accessibility – Does your child use a wheelchair? The outside and inside of our office are wheelchair accessible. Our exam rooms are equipped to accommodate any type of medical equipment or devices your child uses.
- Experience – Our dentists and staff have extensive training and experience working with special needs children. We have developed effective strategies to help support dental needs at home and the dentist.
- Sedation – We have the Only Board Certified Dental Anesthesiologists in the State of Missouri, including the St. Louis Metro Area. Sleep dentistry provides a safe and effective way for special needs children to receive the dental treatment they need.
Call Us Today
The Only Board Certified Dental Anesthesiologists in the State of Missouri, including the St. Louis Metro Area.