General Anesthesia Dentistry
We have the only two general dentists certified in Deep Sedation and General Anesthesiology in the state of Missouri.
At The Dental Anesthesia Center, we work hard to make you feel at ease by providing you with exceptional patient care in a relaxed and convenient atmosphere. We are a state-of-the-art dental facility for patients who require general anesthesia for their dental care.
How General Anesthesia Dentistry Works
Using this method, there is no memory of the procedure and will be in a loss of consciousness. A person is fully asleep, unresponsive to questions, and to commands while under general anesthesia.
General anesthesia is fulfilled through the administration of drugs through an IV, which generates a deep, unconscious sleep state. Dentists who provide this method require a two-year Dental Anesthesiology Residency or an Oral Surgery Residency. This is the recommended level of sedation unable to tolerate dental treatment for mental or physical reasons.
Dental anesthesiologists, like Dr. Hoffmann and Dr. Thoms, have the best safety record of all anesthesia providers in the dental office. When you come in for your appointment, Dr. Hoffmann, Dr.Thoms, or Dr. Daugherty will decide which level is best for you. We look forward to meeting you!
Who Can Benefit From General Anesthesia Dentistry?
This method is designed for patients with:
- Fear and Anxiety: Nearly half of people with dental problems avoid dental care because of their fears and anxiety. Modern, safe anesthesia techniques allow the fearful patient to have dental procedures accomplished with out the anxiety associated with dentistry.
- Low Pain Threshold: People perceive pain differently. Some individuals have difficulty getting numb. With general anesthesia and sedation techniques, the perception of pain can be altered. Patients can be virtually pain-free during treatment.
- Sensitive Gag Reflex: Some patients may suffer from a severe gag reflex and are unable to have dental care completed with use of local anesthetic. Using anesthesia services can eliminate the problems caused by an active gag reflex.
- Extensive Treatment: Completing dental treatment under general anesthesia can eliminate the need for multiple visits.
- Special Needs: Individuals with physical or mental disabilities can achieve complete dental care in a comfortable setting. Sleep dentistry provides a safe and effective way for special need patients to receive the dental treatment they need. Patients will have a complete exam, full mouth series of x-rays (pictures of teeth), and a thorough cleaning while under general anesthesia.
- Young Children: Children who are experiencing anxiety and are unable to cooperate for needed dental treatment can benefit from anesthesia services.
Treatment may be completed in as little as one visit. All types of dental care—including fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, gum therapy, implant crowns and dentures, veneers, and cosmetic dentistry—are available.
General Anesthesia Dentistry St. Louis
Your initial oral examination includes a visual examination, charting, diagnosis and treatment recommendations. Call us today to schedule you appointment at (314) 862-7844. We look forward to meeting you!