Here is why you shouldn’t allow fear, pain, or some disability to deter you from visiting the dentist.
A visit to the dentist may be scary for many people. However, the good news is that you can now avail the services of a St. Louis sedation dentist and get the work done. This means it is possible to undergo dental treatment while you are asleep. Modern dental technology has come a long way to help people overcome their dental phobia. Our St. Louis sedation dentist provides dental care to patients under different degrees of sedation.
Different Degrees of Sedation
The degree of sedation is determined on the basis of medical history and the current mental and physical health of the patient.
Minimal Sedation: This is the lightest degree of sedation when a mild sedative, like Valium, or Nitrous Oxide are used. The patient is generally conscious during the treatment.
Moderate Sedation or Sedation Dentistry: The patient is conscious under this type of sedation and can respond to questions. Sedation Dentistry does not require the patient to be asleep.
Deep Sedation or Sleep Dentistry: General anesthesia or deep sedation is known as Sleep Dentistry. In this method, the patient is unconscious and does not remember the procedure.
Some Important Benefits of Sedation or Sleep Dentistry
- No room for anxiety or fear: Sedation dentistry helps to overcome the fear and anxiety involved in dental treatment. Many people avoid going to the dentist to solve their dental problems because they are scared of undergoing the treatment. Modern anesthesia techniques can be used to perform the dental procedures for fearful patients.
- It is less painful: Pain may be perceived differently by different people. General anesthesia can ease this pain and patients can undergo a painless treatment.
- Suitable for people with a hypersensitive gag reflex: Quite a few patients suffer from a hypersensitive gag reflex. They can have dental treatment administered under local anesthesia to eliminate the issues caused by it.
- Comprehensive treatment can be given under sedation: When the patient is under the influence of anesthesia, it becomes easier to do a comprehensive dental treatment. So there is no need to visit the dentist again and again.
- It is helpful for special needs patients: Sleep dentistry is an effective and safe way to administer dental treatment to persons with mental or physical disabilities, in comfortable settings. Their teeth are examined, x-rays are taken, and the teeth are cleaned thoroughly under anesthesia.
- Small children can undergo treatment comfortably: Usually, small children are very scared to go to the dentist. They have to be persuaded by their parents to do so. Sometimes, they may hide their dental problems in order to avoid going to the dentist. This may flare up the situation. Anesthesia services can help in allaying their fears and gaining the cooperation needed for dental treatment.
Fear, pain, or some disability may deter an individual from visiting the dentist. Sedation dentistry can provide the solution. Give us a call today at (314) 862-7844 to learn more or schedule an appointment!