5 Ways to Start 2022 With a Healthy Smile

Along with your other new year’s resolutions, add better oral care to your list!

2022 is the perfect time to start fresh! Many people are making resolutions to be healthier through diet, exercise, and other lifestyle choices, so why not improve your oral health too? Your mouth directly affects your overall health, so maintaining good oral health can prevent other health problems like heart disease and diabetes. Practicing good oral care is especially important for children as their routines will set them up for good lifetime habits.

Here are 5 tips to get 2022 started with the best oral health possible:

1. Examine your flossing routine

Flossing is often neglected, but flossing once a day is critical to your oral health. A toothbrush only reaches about 60% of your teeth’ surfaces. Therefore, flossing is the only way to remove the remaining 40%. Flossing removes the excess plaque and debris your toothbrush can’t reach. It’s also important to floss correctly, so don’t floss too hard or go deep under the gums. If you have any questions, ask your hygienist at your next appointment.

2. Switch to an electric toothbrush

There’s nothing wrong with a traditional toothbrush. But an electric toothbrush is typically more effective when used correctly. You don’t have to brush back and forth; just simply guide the toothbrush through your mouth, and tiny vibrations do the cleaning for you. An electric toothbrush is more effective at removing plaque and calcium buildup.

3. Brush your tongue

Bacteria on your tongue contributes to plaque buildup on your teeth. Your tongue has tastebuds and folds on it, which can add to buildup and residue. This can lead to bad breath as well. So, when you brush your teeth, gently brush your tongue as well to remove extra bacteria.

4. Cut back on sugar

This can help if you’ve resolved to improve your diet. But cutting back on your sugar intake will decrease your risk of tooth decay. When you want a treat, try to avoid hard candy and gummies, which can linger on the teeth and create plaque.

5. Make a dentist appointment

If it’s been more than six months since your last dentist appointment, be sure to schedule a dental cleaning and exam soon. Don’t ignore signs of a cavity or gum disease. The longer you wait to address any issues, the more painful and costly it becomes.

Call Us Today

The Only Board Certified Dental Anesthesiologist in Missouri, including the St. Louis Metro Area.

Call (314) 862-7844
Updated: August 31, 2023

Leave a Comment