Sedation dentistry is used to help patients undergo their dental procedures comfortably.
A large number of people suffer from dental anxiety. The fear of sitting in a vulnerable position in the dental chair is quite common and is found in people of all age groups. But it is so disturbing for some people that they become panicky even when they have to make a routine visit to the dentist.
Modern medicine and techniques have been developed to free the people from the anxiety associated with dental procedures. Sedation dentistry is used to help the patients to undergo the dental procedures comfortably.
Different Methods Used in Sedation Dentistry
The sedation dentist uses some medications to make the patient feel relaxed and drowsy while they perform the dental procedure. But sedation and pain medication are not the same, sometimes the patient may need local anesthesia as well.
Some of the most common methods of sedation are as follows:
- Inhaled Sedation – The patient inhales a mixture of nitrous oxide or laughing gas and oxygen. Within a few minutes, he becomes relaxed and does not feel any pain during the treatment.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – The patient is given oral medicines one hour prior to the procedure so that he feels numbed but remains conscious.
- Intravenous Sedation – It is a very strong type of sedation which is suitable for patients who are extremely nervous.
Common Concerns Which Can be Overcome by Using Sedation Dentistry
Our dentists are specially trained to administer different levels of sedation to relieve the patient from anxiety. It is a very effective and safe technique which can be used for fearful patients. Here are some situations in which sedation dentistry is very suitable.
- When the patient is scared of needles and dental injections – If the person is given a sedative he will not be so anxious about it. He may not even be aware that needles are being used.
- If a patient cannot bear the sight, sound and smell of the dentist’s office – Such a person can be given oral conscious sedation on the previous night so that his mind is calm and relaxed when he goes to the dentist’s office and does not find these things to be repulsive.
- In case, a patient experiences gagging and choking – Sedation can make him feel comfortable so that he does not have an urge to gag or choke when the dentist works in his mouth.
- The patient who has a panic attack, cries or shakes uncontrollably – Oral sedation given on the previous night can help such a patient and eliminate his anxiety.
- The patient who is restless – Sedation can help such a person to feel relaxed so that he can sit peacefully in the dentist’s chair.
Dental Anesthesia St. Louis
At The Dental Anesthesia Center, we value our patient relationships, making it our priority to deliver gentle dental care that you deserve from sedation dentists in St. Louis. We work hard to make you feel at ease by providing exceptional patient care in a relaxed, convenient atmosphere.
To schedule an appointment, call us at (314) 862-7844. We look forward to meeting you!